Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Mad hatter

I'm sitting at Mad Hatter. If someone doesn't know what that is because they aren't a Durham resident then you should know its a little bakery that sits next to ninth street, one of the most popular places where Duke students hang out. It has wireless and nice little rows of plugs where you can plug your computer in. I walk here from my house all the time. They have these really good shortbread cookies that are decorated with bright colors and sprinkles. Right now the cookies are having a New Years theme. I'm listening to Cold Play for the first time in awhile.
I've been staring at this one group of people for the entire time. Two guys, one who I never see his face. The other faces towards me. He has a very small head and spiky black hair. Two girls sit between them. One is blond and really thin. I learn in a few minutes it is her birthday. The other woman is bigger and black haired. They fit around a square table really well. It has just accrued to me that I really want a cup cake. I know I shouldn't but I really, really want one. The blonde woman is laughing really hard at something the tiny headed man just said. They can't tell I keep glancing at them. Flowers sit next to the blonde woman. The man closest to me is leaning back in his chair. He never turns around. I look away for awhile. When I look back all four are laughing. The blonde woman keeps trying to interject. "My aunt." the man facing away says something. They all laugh except the blonde woman who tries again, "My aunt." No one hears her. The black haired woman says something to quiet to hear. No one laughs this time. The blond tries one more time and achieves her goal. I didn't here what she said I went to go get my cupcake. It was really good. I got a chocolate one with green frosting. now my stomach hurts and i'm really full. Ugh. When I get back all have left and are cleaning up there plates except the black haired one. Her phone rings. She nods, "Yeah, I know were going to have to figure that out wont we. No the production date isn't for awhile, yes, ok, by mom." She rolls her eyes as the small headed man comes back. She stands and they all start walking towards the exit. Now to the two women sitting next to me. On is talking on her red cell phone while the other is applying to much makeup. She just noticed me looking at her, shit, she smiled with her over done lips. I'm sure she's very nice. Now i feel really bad. For some reason Across the sea - Weezer, which i'm listening to right now is really fitting. The woman who smiled is talking to her friend. "She just clings on to me and is like you saved my life, your the best thing to happen to me." The other woman is like, "Yeah its a roommate friend roommate thing, you never know where you stand." They also don't know i've been watching them since they sat down. Coffee places is a weird idea. My stomach still hurts from the cupcake. I have to leave now. Go with my little brothers to the museum. I wonder if that man sitting across from me on his dell laptop has been writing about my obsessive writing. Probably not, i'm just a very self centered person. No I don't think he is, he just waved at the manager. Ok now I really have to leave. I'll be back soon - Rebecca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home